Sunday, March 28, 2010

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike... :)

Actually, to be quite honest - it may be a while before I get on my bike again... maybe not, but that was thought process while doing this ride... my other thoughts were along the line of thinking I'm crazy and wondering if anyone would come pick us up.... :)

It was a great ride - it rained on us a couple of times and I wanted to tear my arm off and try the rest of the ride without my whole right side of my body... It was great, though, don't let my ramblings fool you... Laura, John & Jaclyn all pulled away from Tara and I early on in the ride - but they were unaware that they had done so, and they ended up being pretty far ahead of us... Tara and I also took advantage of the rest areas to the fullest... went to the bathroom, re-filled water bottles and both ate lots of rice krispie treats... i think it was the salt in those things - all of a sudden, they were the best snack EVER!! :) They also had cliff blocks at the rest station, that = margarita lime with salt flavored and they ended up being very tasty :)

My legs never cramped - nor did any other part of my body (cramp) - [Thanks, Catherine, for the coconut water suggestion with all the potassium!!!] My right shoulder was very much in pain and that started to really bother me in the last 20 miles, and my right knee bothered me of and on... oh, and my seat wasn't nearly as comfy as I hoped for - BUT my legs could have continued for miles! So maybe I'll do the 70 mile sojourn next year! :)

It took us about 4.5 hours to do the 50 miles - we're thinking we burned a little over 2,000 calories (holy crow!!) there was a lot of wind - in the wrong direction - and rain - and parts of my body were in pain - but I am very happy that I finished it and am very proud of myself and am very thankful for my friends doing it with me - especially Tara, who kept saying, "okay, this is our next goal, ____." and coming up with great ideas to keep us both motivated and going strong!! I may seem a little down, now - but I think that's the exhaustion talking - and now that I've done this - I'm ready to train for my next adventure!! :)


3 comments:

  1. Good job Julia Armstrong!

    PS - No more yellow text! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I'm really sorry we dropped you and Tara. We didn't realize how far away we were until it was kinda silly to turn around (plus, I'm not sure I would have gotten back on my bike if I took long rest stops!). I am SO proud of you, though and totally think we should do 75 next year! First, we must figure out why your shoulder hurt and fix that.

    ReplyDelete