Friday, March 5, 2010

Legs & Arms = all a quivery :)

Pretty sure I just made up the word 'quivery.' Swimming was harder today - but I'm not too surprised - my quads hate me right now - and since I have been kicking the correct way, my quads got yet another tough work out. Shawn had a GREAT workout planned for us:
Warm up: 2 laps easy
Main Set: (1) 1 lap kick board, 1 lap 'pull' (just arms - floatie between legs), 2 laps moderate
(2) 2 laps kick, 2 laps pull, 2 laps easy
(3) 4 laps with fins on feet, 1 lap easy
(4) 2 X 1 lap sprint (hypoxic)
Cool down: 2 laps easy
Total = 21 laps, 1050 meters, or 0.65 miles
[sprint/hypoxic = swimming as fast as you can and taking as few breaths as you can]
For the sprint laps, you sprint for 1 length and then can do whatever stroke on the way back... and all of these laps - minus the recovery from the sprint = freestyle.

My first sprint length = 27 seconds and 4 breaths and my second sprint length = 30 seconds and 4 breaths... need to work on that time, but the amount of breaths is good :)

And believe it or not, Jenelle and I are talking about increasing this fun workout to twice a week - Monday & Friday mornings! I think this would balance out my week nicely - Wednesdays I spin, Saturdays I do a 'real' ride for a LONG journey to train... and Tues & Thurs, I do light cardio with weights... not too shabby... Sunday is always a wild card - this Sunday it's Nia and Yoga with our trainer (teaching all of HCC!) Thursday's circuit work out had me sore all day - my arms quivered when driving (holding the steering wheel!!) and my legs - well, as you know, they've been sore all week... It was nice to use my arms and legs this morning - but I got a cramp in my right quad - I wouldn't wish that on anyone - OUCH!!

I've decided NOT to do the bridge run... I know it's required and all - but Laura G. and I have been planning our century ride since August-ish and the past couple of times I've done the bridge, I've ended up running (because who really wants to be left behind???) which has made me so sore the following day that it's been hard to walk. Laura, John, and ?? are coming down for that weekend just for us to do the ride, so I'm focusing on training for that and working on that versus trying to do both. I'm in this for the longhaul - there will be PLENTY of races in the future!!

I've decided to join the MUSC Wellness Ctr for after the program - if I sign up before HCC is over, I get 1 free month (yay!!), so I'll get to swim with or without Jenelle (who has a membership), spin with Catherine, and do Taebo with James & Janis all I want!! And the majority of my team is a member already, so I'lll get to see them throughout the week as well :)

Great breakfast I had after swimming... it's going to sound strange - but it was SOO tasty!! 1/2 pear sauteed with cinnamon & nutmet and 1/4 cup quinoa mixed in... with 2 chicken/apple sausage links :) all mixed in together - YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment