Saturday, March 6, 2010

I didn't actually do any exercise today... I got up from working on GIS (maps/thesis) every hour as Janis instructed us to move every hour and not to 'just sit there.' I planned on going biking, but I couldn't make myself get up and go - it wasn't for lack of motivation to do activity because it was gorgeous today... it was because today was a big writing/making maps day and it was a long time to work uninterrupted - no distractions - and I've been freaking out so much about chunks of time to work on this stuff - deadlines are fast approaching - I just couldn't make myself do any activity that would take me away from the paper. Tomorrow I'll do the HCC workout at 2:30 - and then I'll start the week fresh with plenty of gym-time :)

So, in lieu of some great adventure, activity or story of how my day went, I'll share some more interesting facts that I've learned with HCC :) - this bit of information is from the meeting on 2/25/10

Health Facts
- A multivitamin = 'your' insurance plan against the burden of eating perfectly every day. Judith (Nutritionist/Dietician) suggest Women's (and Men's) Once a Day vitamins.
- The average adult needs 1200mg Ca & Vit D/day - 1 cup milk = 300mg, 1 cup yogurt = 400mg, 1 calcium supplement = 500mg
- 1 soda (diet or regular)/day puts you at a 83.2% chance of getting Type II diabetes (Thank God I've never craved sodas... and thanks, Mom & Dad, for never giving us sodas when we were little!!)
- It's important to get 2 servings/week of a fatty fish like salmon for your omega 3's (if you take a supplement, make sure it's a good quality fish oil pill or you will smelly fishy - really)

Emotional Eating (questions to answer now to help ourselves later...)
- What emotions are associated with eating for you?
- What function does eating serve in these situations?
- Generate healthier alternatives that serve the same functions
- Write down the alternatives when the emotion/mood strikes
- Eating doesn't help the stress, it worsens it
- It takes 15-20 minutes for your brain to register that you ate... so slow down while eating :)


No comments:

Post a Comment