Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Clean 15

So I just read an article I'd like to share with y'all... Most of you know how important it is to me to buy local - both local boutiques and produce. So, I'm a member of a CSA with Ambrose Farms on Johns Island (with friend Sarah H. and my parents). Well, on the off-season (January-March) when there is no CSA or farmer's market, it is harder to buy local, unless you head to some of the local markets on Johns Island (Stono Market & Rosebank Farms). Most of the CSAs are organic, our's is.

I just read an article about fruits/veggies and what it's okay to buy organic and not organic (since we can't all afford organic). If you choose to buy conventional produce, stick to the fruits and veggies with the lowest amounts of pesticide residue. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has dubbed this group "the Clean 15" and they are: onions, avocados, corn, pineapples, mangoes, asparagus, sweet peas, kiwi fruits, cabbages, eggplants, papayas, watermelons, brocoli, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes. The EWG has also compiled a list of the 12 fruits and veggies with the most pesticide residue, which they've dubbed, 'the dirty dozen,' which = peaches, apples, bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, kale (sad), lettuce, imported grapes, carrots, and pears (sad).

So, as I look at healthier choices for me, I thought you would also like this info :)

1 comment: