Thursday, February 25, 2010

Better Snacks = Better Day :)

I've had a good day so far - I worked out with the team this morning, which I had missed. I missed grunting and counting together and intimidating the rest of the people in the cardio room :) I was grumpy this morning - I have too much 'in the balance' with school, work outs, etc. and it's making me mighty cranky - plus, this is the first morning in a while that I have worked out at 6am... that's likely to make anyone cranky, right?

Since I don't have much to tell about myself (I'm keeping my stress bottled up so I don't break down), I'm going to share some more healthy tips that we have learned!

Lessons learned on 2/4/10:

8 foods to eat everyday!
(1) Spinach (1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup chopped) - or kale, bok choy, or romaine lettuce
(2) Yogurt (1 cup/day) = greek, soy, or plain
(3) Tomatoes (8 cherry or 1 cup juice) - or red watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, or guava
(4) Carrots (1/2 cup) - or sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow peppers or mango
(5) Blueberries (1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup frozen) - or acai berries, purple grapes, or strawberries
(6) Black beans (1/2 cup/day) - or lentils, pinto, kidney or fava beans
(7) Walnuts = Omega 3's!! (1 oz or 7 nuts) - or almonds, peanuts, pistachios, or hazelnuts
(8) Oats (1 cup/day) - or quinoa (my fave!!), flax seed (grind), or wild rice

Categories I have left to eat today: 1, 3, 6, & 7 - so I'll need to get those in for afternoon snack or dinner... SO doable!!

other fun (or not so fun) facts:
* 1/2 cup pinto beans daily can cut LDL (bad cholesterol) by 8%
* 1 chicken wing = 10g fat (wowsers!)
* Beware of tofu, eggplant, & mushrooms - they soak up olive oil, etc.
* You'll consume 20% fewer calories in your meal if you start with a soup appetizer
* Swiss cheese has 1/3 the sodium of cheddar and 1/4 the sodium of provolone

One last thing to share with you :)
Best blood sugar stabilizer = raspberries
Best colon cancer guard = white & green tea
Best skin saver = carrots
Best heart protector = salmon
Best breast cancer beater = whole grain cereal
Best bone protector = shrimp
Best anti-aging elixir = RED WINE :)
Best vision defender = spinach

Stay tuned to see how I do at tonight's weigh in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment