Monday, January 11, 2010

I suppose there are bad days

Today wasn't really a 'bad' day - it was a different experience than the past few - and it took me all day to write about it because I've been letting my thoughts percolate - trying to sift out why the day was rough. I did the treadmill for 40 minutes - it was okay - but not amazing. And then I had my first class of Yoga, which I didn't particularly enjoy, but would like to give it another chance.... In order to understand my discomfort, you need to understand some things.
First off, as a youngster, I had scoliosis - which I still have - but not to the extent that I had it when I was younger. The majority of my curve was straightened, but there is some 'residual' curve with a result in one hip being higher than the other. I have recently acquired a lift-type insert (that I really should have been wearing since 15 when I decided it wasn't cool) and things have been great - no more hip problems, no more knee problems, and so far, no more back problems. Well, you don't wear shoes in yoga - so no lift. And it was very painful at times to stretch at the different angles and positions - but I'm stubborn, so I pushed through - and for all you Yoga people out there - I BREATHED - through the WHOLE process. Even the resting position (child pose?) wasn't comfy - but new things aren't supposed to be comfy right?
Another thing is that I wasn't wearing the appropriate clothes and though this may seem trivial, I think it really stressed me out. I had to keep adjusting my shirt or my shorts and I'm pretty sure that took away from the whole breathing, relaxing thing. Lastly, I spent a lot of time measuring myself up to those around me. Our group was all together, but I was on 'the edge' next to a whole group of Yoga gurus and it was a little intimidating.
When I came into the program, I was aware that all of us paid to do the HCC - we are all in it together - we have all tried programs that don't work and we are all concerned about our health. So when we work out together, even though there are other peeps around us in the gym, I get into the zone, because I have my team with me and we are there for each other - and I can be confident in that. But in this foreign atmosphere (and I'm pretty sure any Yoga instructor would be offended that I called their space a foreign atmosphere), I lost some confidence and it really effected my work out - I couldn't get in the zone, and it actually really affected my day - as benign as it may seem.
In regards to my hips or any physical reasons I couldn't do it (I'm not so limber right now), I don't want these to be excuses. I've had years of making excuses for myself and landing myself back to where I hinder my own change. You probably know this about me but I can rationalize with the best of them. I don't want to rationalize that I can't do yoga because of these challenges. I want to conquer all challenges! So it really bothered me today when this happened.
When I got into the challenge, I told anyone who would listen that I'm 'in it to win it,' and I MEAN IT. So I suppose today was tougher because I really had to listen to my body and figure out what was going wrong. It wasn't an easy day - but not because some machine kicked my butt or because I couldn't kick as high in Taebo, but because I'm NOT in tune with my body. I know that I will become in tune as I discipline myself and reach new intensity levels. And this is definitely something *new* for me to work towards - but equally important as my other goals for this program and my life. Sorry for the long post - but it's been a thought-provoking day.

2 comments:

  1. Hello lovely lady!
    First off : Put a big 'ole smile on that purdy face of yours.
    Nice. That's better.
    I want to chat a little about your post. I hated Yoga so much when I first started doing it. I couldn't relax, I was looking around, I had no ability to focus on breathing. After my first try I didn't go back for 4 years! But I tried again and realize that having a good experience does depend on two things : a good teacher and your outlook on the class. All of those little things that bothered you are fixable. I bet the teacher would be okay with you not being barefoot, maybe just for the first few classes. Tights work well and also help hide the thighs(where I get self-conscience about) I also tuck in my shirt or wear a tank. A low pony tail will prevent having to fix your hair once you lay on your back and squash that regular pony tail do. If you fall, don't laugh. Take it seriously that you came out of a pose and get right back in there. It's a challenge. Go after it! With regards to your hips...Yoga will loosen your muscles and help strengthen at the same time. That's got to be a great combo for your hips!
    Cool. Now I have a game I want you to play and if you already saw my facebook page then it's ruined. If not, please play.
    Right now take 10 seconds to look around the room and find every red object you can. Go.
    10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.



    How many green objects did you see? You didn't see any did you? When you focus on the bad stuff you forget to look for the good. But life isn't just about looking back on all the good, it's about looking at it while it's right in front of you. If you skipped the french fries today then smile about it as you order that veggie plate. If you did the workouts you were meant to but put in 5 extra minutes at home you should take a second to enjoy that accomplishment. Okay. Now that I have ranted to you, I'm going to smile about having a good friend in you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great comment - I'm glad to know I have a friend like you, Dolly - thanks for your input! Love you! ~ Julia

    ReplyDelete