Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tiny Bumps :)

I weighed in tonight and gained 1.6 lbs since I last weighed in on 4/1/10. Not too shabby - sure a tiny bump in the road - but no biggie. If I had gained 3+ lbs, I may have cried a little - but I can lose 1.6 lbs in a week! Which is my next goal - to lose 1.6 lbs by next Wednesday.

Barb came with me to the meeting which was great! During the meeting, Jimmy Williams from "Healthy Home Foods" came and talked to us about the importance of eating grass-fed beef and not supporting larger companies like ConAgra and Smithfield or Tyson based on how they treat the animals and the diseases that have sprouted from these company's processing 'techniques' - which is talked about in more detail in the documentary Food Inc - which the HCC team played after Judith's discussion. I have seen and would definitely recommend "Food Inc." If you have Netflix, you can watch it for free online... so no reason not to see it (if you have Netflix). I think that Jimmy brought up some good points, however his company sets you up with 6 months of food both vegetables and beef, pork, and poultry - and this isn't a service that will really help me. Plus everything that is delivered is frozen - I don't have the space for this service.

I also would rather - and so far it has worked for me - invest in a CSA, get my veggies - those I can't eat, I freeze myself in smaller quantities. And I have decided (since the last time I posted) to go back to my diet of mostly-vegetarian; eating vegetarian unless it is grass-fed local beef or poultry and I will eat seafood. The nutritionist believed that as long as I'm aggressive about getting enough complete protein - and as long as I take a pre-natal vitamin (they contain more iron than a multi-vitamin.... don't worry, I'm not trying to send the message that I need pre-natal anything), that I should be fine.

Judith then gave her mini-talk about how to maintain weight loss and how to cope with post HCC times... some notes of hers that I've highlighted are below:
- Set smaller attainable goals and reward yourself
- Don't burden yourself with unrealistic expectations
- Talk with HCP about a healthy goal weight
- To maintain weight, you must balance your intake of calories with the energy you burn
- Try something new (a new class)
- Strap on a pedometer and find out how many steps you take per day
- gradually add another 250 steps/day
- have a goal (eventually) of 10,000 or more steps each day ( ~ 5 miles)
- Shop on a full stomach & stick to your list
- Take notes (in food journal) of my strategies and how they held up
- Keep measurement charts along with weight charts
- Plan meals ahead of time and plan for ups and downs

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the idea of setting small goals and rewarding yourself for meeting those milestones. I think I'm going to do that. :-)

    ReplyDelete